If you had any misgivings about the prevalence and seriousness of personal injury situations in today’s day and age, you should take a close look the facts and figures shown below for some perspective:
- Within the UK, an individual is injured by a third-party actor about once every eight hours or so.
- Upwards of 500,000 UK citizens struggle with long-term disabilities and disorders as the direct result of traumatic injuries and harms, most of which are sustained on the road or in the workplace.
- Poorly equipped, unregulated work environments cost UK firms over £14 billion in lawyers’ fees and court settlements each year.
- More than half of a million workplace injuries were documented during the past 12 months, marking a nearly 5% rise over the prior year.
- As the result of prolonged asbestos exposure, almost 3,000 people have died from mesothelioma complications since 2015.
- During 2016, almost 1.5 million people were forced to miss work because of an injury, wound, or condition caused by a third party.
- With average absences of 20 days per employee, UK companies were forced to account for over 30 million missed workdays in total.
Finding a Renowned Attorney
As you can see by now, it’s important to ascertain a reputable personal injury lawyer long before one of these misfortunes has a chance to transpire, especially if your monthly budget isn’t prepared to handle a long absence from work or mounting medical bills.
With this notion in mind, you’ll be able to use the list of questions shown below to help you choose a great lawyer.
Are you properly accredited by trusted regulatory agencies? First and foremost, it’s important to note that the most distinguished legal teams, such as the Head Injury Helpdesk in Kent, for instance, are endorsed, certified, and accredited by established regulatory entities within the UK. In this regard, you should look for firms that are recognised by the Law Society’s Personal Injury Panel and the Headway Solicitors Directory as well.
What kinds of cases have you handled over the years? To ensure a versatile, multitalented, and adaptable legal team, you’ll want to highlight the local organisations that can tout a winning record in a host of different personal injury situations:
- Slips and trips (residential and commercial)
- Occupier’s negligence
- Road traffic accidents
- Workplace incidents
- GP negligence and surgery claims
- Laser eye surgery and prescription error claims
- Spinal injuries and traumatic brain injuries
The lawyer in question must be able to provide authentic client reviews as well so be on the lookout for a “Testimonials” tab on the solicitor’s homepage.
What is your fee structure? Regardless of whether your injury claim is worth just a few thousand pounds or many millions, you’ll want to ensure that your lawyer of choice features a cost-effective approach:
- Free initial consultation
- No-win, no-fee promise
- 25% rate cap on your final settlement amount
- Opportunity to keep 100% of the compensation based on the specific scenario
There you have it: the ultimate beginner’s guide to handling personal injury situations in the UK! Be sure to print out this brief article and stow it away for a rainy day.